The First Steps Preschool and Enrichment Program would like to extend a warm welcome to you and your family. We are located at
First Christian Church
327 East Capitol
Jefferson City, Missouri
Please feel free to contact us, complete an application, or review our Parent Handbook [by clicking on each link].
Pam Hart, Director
The mission of First Steps Preschool and Enrichment is to provide a loving, warm environment for the care, learning and spiritual guidance of young children and to create a meaningful time for parents of these young children. First Steps Preschool and Enrichment also serves as a means of evangelism for First Christian Church and provides a vehicle for volunteerism for First Christian Church members.
Goals & philosophy
Our goals at First Steps are based upon the verse, “And the child grew and became strong, filled with wisdom, and the favor of God was upon him.” Luke 2:40
“The child grew” – Socially
In the area of social growth, we strive to help your child find answers to the following three basic questions.
1. “Who am I?”
We help your child feel he is a very worthwhile, unique, and competent individual – respected, accepted, and loved.
2. “Who are you?”
We help your child discover that adults (other than his parents) are gentle, helpful, and loving people. We help him discover he can enjoy being a group member, contributing to the group and forming friendships.
3. “What about the World?”
We help your child discover school is another place besides his home, where he can feel cared for, protected, and secure. Your child has the opportunity to discover the world around through first hand investigation, studying nature and special seasons.
“And became strong” – Physically
In this area we encourage your child:
1. To be aware of health and safety habits.
2. To develop and coordinate big and little muscles through stimulating playground experiences and equipment.
3. To become a good worker – constructive, thoughtful, respectful of tools and equipment.
“Filled with wisdom” – Intellectually
With the individual child in mind, we strive to help him develop a foundation for further schooling through:
1. Increasing vocabulary and attention span.
2. Learning letter and number concepts
3. Introducing basic math concepts
4. Distinguishing and naming colors and geometric shapes
5. Learning to follow directions
6. Learning to listen
7. Music appreciation, rhythmic movement and dance
8. Being familiar with craft materials
“And the favor of God was upon Him” – Spiritually
In our program, your child will be exposed to basic religious concepts as they are intermingled throughout the complete program of the class, specifically through:
1. Daily Bible stories with corresponding craft and Bible color pages to reinforce the story
2. Prayer before snack
3. Monthly Bible verse memorization